Do you want to know the Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 best settings? Then you have stumbled upon the perfect place on the web.
Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 is a 3-in-1 device. Typically, it is a cable modem so that you can connect the broadband internet to your premises using this. On top of that, you can use it as a router as well.
So, there is no need to buy an extra router if you want to share your internet connection wirelessly in your house or office.
But many users seem to notice that it doesn’t come with the best settings out of the box. As a result, they are not getting the best performance from the modem/router.
To remedy this, we have come up with this post, where we will share the best settings of the Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 device.
So, let’s jump right in…
How to Set up Motorola SURFboard SBG6580
Before we can tell you the best settings for the Motorola SURFboard SBG6580, we should tell you how to set up this device properly. Because if you set it up inaccurately, then it will not perform the best.
Make sure that you have found all the accessories that come with your cable modem/router in good condition. The Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 comes with a power adapter, Ethernet cable, installation CD-ROM, install sheet, and software license/warranty, etc.
The install sheet will tell you how to set it up properly. You will find various ports at the back of the device. Once you have connected and set up the device properly, you can proceed to customize it.
Customizing the Login Information
First of all, you need to change the login credentials of the admin page of the device.
Normally, the Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 has a username and password by default. For the username, you will need to use ‘Admin’ and the password is ‘Motorola’.
However, you can change them if you want to for additional security. Because if you keep the login credentials, as usual, anybody that has access to your computer would be able to customize the settings of your router/modem.
So, if you want to tweak the login information of your router/modem, you can follow the steps below.
Steps to Follow
- Open any of your favorite browser on your PC that is connected to the network shared by the Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 device.
- Then, go to 192.168.0.1 from the browser.
- Next, you will have to enter the login credentials. As you know the default username is ‘Admin’ and the default password is ‘Motorola’. Use them and log in.
- After you have logged in to the Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 admin page, you will be on the ‘Status’ page.
- Next, you need to click on the ‘Security’ option from the left sidebar.
- Now, click on the ‘Change Username’ option.
- So, type in Admin on the ‘Enter Current Username’ box, and type in Password on the ‘Enter Current Password’ option.
- Next, you need to enter the new username and click on the ‘Apply’ button to save it.
- Similarly, you can also change the Password as well.
Once you have changed the login information, don’t forget to click on the ‘Apply’ button. Also, don’t forget to note the new login credentials down anywhere safe and secure.
Changing the Security Settings
Once you have changed the login information, you can change the security settings as well. In the process, you can tweak the network name, the security protocol, encryption mode, and more. So, let’s learn how to do this.
Steps to Follow
- As usual, use your favorite browser on your PC that is connected to the network of your router/modem. Then go to http://192.168.0.1.
- You will see the login page. So, enter the login credentials and log in to the account. By default, the username is Admin and the password is Motorola
- Next, click on the ‘Wireless’ tab from the top menu bar of the screen.
- Then, navigate to the ‘Primary Network’ button from the left sidebar.
- Now you can customize a lot of settings on that page.
- For example, select the ‘Enabled’ option from the ‘Primary Network’ section.
- Then, you can change the name of the Wi-Fi network of yours in the ‘Network Name (SSID)’ section. It is better to change the default name to something that you will be able to remember easily.
- For the ‘Closed Network’ option, keep it ‘Disabled’.
- By default, the security encryption would be WPA-PSK, you can keep it or change it.
- After you have changed the settings, you need to click on the ‘Apply’ button to save these new settings.
Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 Best Settings
By this time, you should be familiar with the various settings of the Motorola SURFboard SBG6580. We think it is the perfect time to introduce you to the best settings of the device.
In this section, we will share a few settings that you can tweak to improve the performance of the router/modem from Motorola.
However, you need to keep in mind that our best settings might not be good for you. Still, we have found out that these settings we are about to share have improved the performance of the network connectivity a lot in our case.
So, it should be helpful to you too. Otherwise, you always have the option to customize the settings your way. So, let’s get to it.
Steps to Follow
- Use your computer that is connected to the network of the Surfboard SBG6580. And, open your favorite browser.
- Next, go to the http://192.168.0.1 address on that browser.
- On this page, you will need to log in to the router/modem configuration page by entering the correct login credentials. By default, the username is Admin and the password is Motorola. However, if you have changed it, then you have to use the new ones.
- Once you have logged in, click on the ‘Wireless’ option from the top menu bar.
- Next, you will be able to change all the Wireless related settings on this page.
- So, keep the ‘Wireless Interface’ as it is.
- Then, keep the ‘Wireless’ option to ‘Enabled’.
- Next, you need to choose the ‘Output Power’ option to ‘100%’.
- After that, you need to choose the ‘5GHz’ option in the 802.11 Band option.
- On the 802.11 n-mode, you need to pick the ‘Auto’ option.
- Next, you need to keep the ‘802.11 N Support Required’ to ‘Off’.
- Then, you have to select ‘40 MHz’ on the ‘Bandwidth’ option. This is very important for additional speed.
- Now, select the ‘Upper’ option from the ‘Sideband for Control Channel’ selection.
- Later, you need to pick the ‘40’ option from the ‘Control Channel’ section.
- Lastly, select the ‘Auto’ option from the ‘STBC Tx’ field.
- Finally, don’t forget to click on the ‘Apply’ button from the bottom to save these new settings.
If you have followed all the suggestions described above, then you should see improved performance on your Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 router/modem.
If you have used all the settings above and still haven’t noticed any improvement, then we have a few tips for you. You can try these tips and see whether the performance improves or not.
Tip #1 Use a Separate Router
You know that the Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 is a cable modem as well as a router. So, you can share your internet connectivity wirelessly using this device. In that case, you will not need a separate router.
However, we must admit that this device is not that powerful to offer the best performance when you are using it as a router as well as a modem.
Many users have reported that after they have used a separate router for the internet connection, their internet speed has improved a lot. So, we would also suggest you use a separate router with this modem to share the internet wirelessly for better performance.
Tip #2 Enable uPNP on the Motorola SURFboard SBG6580
By default, the uPNP settings are disabled. But you could try to enable it and check if the performance has improved or not.
Some users of the Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 have reported that once they have enabled the UPnP setting, the performance of their router/cable modem has improved to a greater extent. So you can try that as well.
There you have it. Now you know the best settings for the Motorola SURFboard SBG6580. Also, you should keep in mind that the best settings we have provided above might not be suitable for you. As a result, you should try to tweak the settings to your liking.
For that reason, we have also shared the process of setting up the router/cable modem at the beginning of the post. Now that you have acquired the knowledge of the Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 best settings, you should be able to use the device to its full potential.
If you have tried the above settings and found great results, you should let us know in the comments below. In fact, if you have any better settings, then you can leave them in the comments as well. At the same time, don’t forget to share this post with others.
More Posts for You: